Old April 2nd 10, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Barnyard BOb

Default barnyard, its on your head....

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 14:35:19 GMT, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

sounds to me that it flies just like the W8 Tailwind ...something that
I'm quite happy with.

your main gear legs are solid Wittman style tempered 6150 tapered rods
if they are built according to the plans. they arent tubes.

ARRGH!!!!
OLD AGE BRAIN FART!
Sorry.

You are 100% correct.
Van stole the whole setup from Wittman. :-)

relating Tailwind experiences here on the same sort of undercarriage
setup...
the thin 5.00x5 tyres that were originally on my aeroplane had to be
pumped to exactly 25psi or the aeroplane was a ******* to land.
I noticed a counter display showing a 5.00x5 tyre with almost twice
the tread thickness of the normal tyre. I swapped to using those just
to get longer times between replacements. they work well, really well.
I can now have tyre pressures anywhere between 22 and 30psi and I dont
notice any difference. the tendency for landing bounce is gone as
well.

The McCreary tires [tyres] furnished by Van's are NOT the way to go.

Remember the name... CONDOR.
They are priced about the same, but are twice the tire [tyre].
I'm told these are made by Michelin. No idea if specs are are same or
not. Cheap tires have weak walls, track poorly and wear fast. Not
Condors.

I use lower 22 lbs pressure... for better shock absorbtion.

if you get any shimmy in the main gear on landing the cause is
brinelling of the single bolt at the top of the leg causing it to
become a loose fit. sure sign of this is the shimmy vanishing on the
application of light braking. replace the bolt and it should be sweet
again.

Thanks for the advice.
I'll definitely try that.

the ground handling is interesting. I will not be using the tailwheel
chain arrangement on the plans. mine will be a solid rod as per my
Tailwind. Originally the Tailwind had the Wittman plans tailwheel
arrangement and was rated as a good flying aircraft but a nightmare in
the ground handling. When I first taxyied the aircraft I recognised a
problem with overgearing of the tailwheel immediately. I made a simple
change that halved the tailwheel movement and the aircraft has been a
pussycat in the ground handling ever since. the plans indicate the the
same gearing problem on the RV3 but it is probably masked by the
sloppiness in the chain and spring arrangement.

From past experiences....
a bit of slop has normally produced best results for me.

However:
With my RV3, no slop has proven best. The springs tho, are anythiing
but stiff and stretch with little force/effort.

What I've been told that makes for a pussycat is TOW OUT.
With TOW IN... you have one mean TIGER.

ZERO would be best, if you can achieve it.

I don't mean to start a war with the above tidbit...
I mean it as a fact of life for taildraggers. g

I had an 18 year break in my flying so I'm not a high time pilot. I'm
still under 600 hours in the last 10 years but 450 of those are solo
W8 Tailwind time so I should have no problems with the RV3.

I'm half way through making the first part. (tailwheel spring)

Stealth Pilot

Sounds like you would be right at home in an RV of any flavor.

~ Barnyard BOb ~