Old August 28th 05, 01:42 PM
Peter Clark

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 04:40:18 GMT, Jose
wrote:

On the LA Sectional, North and Northeast of Santa Barbara and through
the Gorman pass, there is a grey hatchmarked area and the note "Special
Military Activity - contact Hawthorne FSS on 122.2, 122.3 for activity
status." and similar notes referencing Riverside FSS and Joshua
Approach. Last year (similarly marked) I flew through the area and none
of the FSSs nor Joshua Approach seemed to know anything about it.

Any of you know what's going on, and who really knows, and what I need
to ask to find out whether it is hot or not (and be certain)?

It looks like a UAV corridor. At least on the Montreal sectional, see
the information panel in the white portion in the bottom of the
sectional, "SPECIAL MILITARY ACTIVITY: The chart identifies IFR
Military Training Routes and Military Operations Area within which the
Department of Defense conducts periodic operations involving unmanned
aerospace vehicles." (blah blah blah).