Old July 17th 03, 05:49 PM
Corky Scott

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 08:43:11 -0600, "Bill Daniels"
wrote:

In the 1950's I saw a translated German report on the chemical analysis of
fuel from allied aircraft shot down over Germany. It referred to "high
levels of lead contamination from poorly make pipe joints in American
refineries". It appeared, at least from this report, that the Germans
completely failed to understand the implications of their lab tests and the
benefits of tetraethyl lead as an octane booster.

Bill Daniels

That just cracks me up Bill. For all their much vaunted and highly
admired military technology, the Germans continually shot themselves
in the foot during WWII. This is just one example. During the war,
the the British took incredible pains to prevent their airborn radar
technology from falling into the hands of the Germans so as to prevent
them from reverse engineering the same set and turning it against
them, or devising a homing device or warning device. Yet when the
centimetric radar actually DID end up in German hands when an
unfortunate airplane that had it went down, they completely
missunderstood how it worked and dismissed it.

From mid war on, German U-boats were harassed and sunk at increasingly
higher numbers by aircraft and the Germans appeared clueless as to why
this was happening.

It is said that the Germans never made small mistakes, they only made
big ones.

Corky Scott