Old October 31st 03, 07:40 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Phil Budne" wrote in message
In article ,
Mary Shafer wrote:
First heavier-than-air, powered, controlled, maneuvering flight in
which the vehicle landed at an altitude approximately that at which it
took off, actually.

Each time I see the list of qualifiers on the Wright Brothers flight,
I want to find the list of previous "flights"

Did someone make a heavier-than-air, powered, uncontrolled level flight?

Yes - Clement Ader in France

A heavier-than-air, powered, controlled, non-maneuvering level flight?

Yes - Clement Ader again

A heavier-than-air, powered, controlled, maneuvering, downhill flight?

Sir George Cayley designed several gliders and reportedly at least
one steam powered machine that were flown downhill by his coachman

Can any reccomend a good web page or book?

Google will get you lots

Keith