View Single Post
Old August 6th 18, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting
external usenet poster

Default US Standard Class Nationals

Good lord, who invented this torturous sport.
The only fun part was the line finish.
So, here we go. A 300 mile assigned task that took us across Bush Ranch twice. The first leg 100 miles SW into a quarter headwind that took the mortal pilots a couple of hours followed by a right turn for a 60 mile downwind dash. Right turn again to the SE into....what?.....a big overdevelopment making plenty of shade....on top of the turn.
Survival mode , red alert, all hands on deck, close w t doors, #@%&# me and the horsey.....I moved a couple miles south of the turn to a dark cloud to be greeted by rain drops. I see a couple of gliders retreating back west into the sun when I notice a little sun over nearby Waco and decided to go for it.
Touched the turn and sho nuf wisps started forming. 3 of us formed up and climbed to top at around 6k.
All 3 of us then headed into the dead zone for 30 mile glide to the other side where good clouds await. We all took separate tracks and I reach mine around 2k agl. The tailwind saved our bacon. One more climb to 6 got me home..
Several scores still missing....maybe long retrieves....my roommate and his crew just got home......
good time to turn out my light.....hide....
R