Old October 18th 18, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Greatful for this group

On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 9:11:02 AM UTC-6, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
A few nights ago I stumbled into a conversation on FB Tail Draggers Unit. The question was as simple as it gets: Airspeed, controlled by power or pitch? I know simple, but there so many that were sure the answer was power or a combination of power and pitch. Some thought power controlled speed and pitch controls glide slope. Even a pilot with 25K flew the "big stuff in 3rd world countries without autopilot". This guy also flew T-6's (a heavy underpowered aircraft) in a demo team! Thank God for glider pilots that know the basics. And thank you to all the true geniuses that contribute to this group! Next time I get into an airliner I hope my pilot trained in gliders.

If I get the chance, I ask the pilots, usually while departing from the cheap seats when there's more time to linger. I'll also ask them while waiting for the hotel shuttles. Some have or say they have been thinking about it.