Old January 26th 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave Butler

Default First plane

Chad Speer wrote:
I suppose I'm reviving a dead string on an active thread, but I think
most here would agree that "payload" refers to the weight available for
passengers and baggage with full fuel. "Useful load" is, as you
describe, "the total weight of fuel, passengers, and freight." The
only difference being that "useful load" only includes usable fuel,
because unusable fuel is included in the empty weight.

I'd argue though, that "payload" refers to the weight of passengers and
baggage period. I've removed the word "available" and the reference to
fuel. Nevertheless your criticism of what I wrote previously is valid.
Thanks.