Old December 26th 10, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Michalik

Default Flight navigation/moving map software for Android System

On Dec 26, 10:48*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Dec 26, 7:14*am, Stephen Michalik

wrote:
The new Samsung Galaxy Tablet uses the Android System. Do any of the
current flight software systems run on Android? If so which ones? How
well do they interface with the SN10 or 302 ? * How about the XCSoar
program in beta?

In measuring the Galaxy Tablet it is really only about 1.5 inches
taller and wider than my current 3955 setup in cradle. *Seems like a
good possibility for upgrading. Would be able to get satellite feeds
as well...

Steve
S9

The Galaxy is interesting but does not run Honeycomb (the upcoming
Android release aimed at tablets) and personally I would hold off on
buying an Android tablet until they do. Once Honeycomb is out you will
likely see a more interesting tablets and market for software. How
many tablets will be a form factor suitable for cockpits well see.

The only significant soaring software folks publicly playing with
Android seem to be XCSoar. They have a (free of course) version on the
Android Market, I've not played with it and I don't know what devices
it works on (and the only Android device I have is an old G1 phone I
use for testing web content).

Windows Mobile and Windows CE need a mercy killing. Now if we just get
a real daylight visible Android tablet...

Darryl

I agree on the CE mercy killing. It's time for an upgrade to say the
least. Our technical staff at work is using the Galaxy tablet and so
far it is a decent machine.
it would be nice for a soaring software package to come out in time
for spring maintenance work on our gliders for an off the shelf
tablet.

Maybe next year...