Old December 26th 10, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

Default Flight navigation/moving map software for Android System

On Dec 26, 8:14*am, Stephen Michalik
wrote:
The new Samsung Galaxy Tablet uses the Android System. Do any of the
current flight software systems run on Android? If so which ones? How
well do they interface with the SN10 or 302 ? * How about the XCSoar
program in beta?

In measuring the Galaxy Tablet it is really only about 1.5 inches
taller and wider than my current 3955 setup in cradle. *Seems like a
good possibility for upgrading. Would be able to get satellite feeds
as well...

Steve
S9

It being a nice sunny day in Colorado, I strolled into a Best Buy and
took a look at the iPad and Galaxy. Both provide a passable web
browsing experience and little more. The clerk was unhappy I wanted
to see what they looked like in direct sunlight - for good reason -
they were unreadable.

If the obvious technical bugs can be worked out, devices resembling
these will be very useful. However, I suspect the market is looking
at them as "thin clients" for "cloud services". Just how 'thin' they
turn out to be will determine how useful they are to us.

I want a lot of computing power with robust 3rd party applications of
my choosing. I tried to search with Google on the Galaxy and got Bing
every time. It's browser refused to even admit Google existed. I
won't buy any device which limits free choice.