Old August 4th 03, 03:16 AM
BTIZ

Default Blanik L-13 polar

I have not seen any polar for the L-13 other than the one in the factory
manual POH. It does not reference the flap positions.

I have flown the L-13 and the L-23 (no flap)
For the L-13, the flaps do lower landing speed and the angle of the fuselage
on approach which affects the AOA of the wing. I always found it was easier
to keep the tail wheel off the ground with full flap landings.. those
landing the L-13 without flaps tended to strike the tail wheel on the
ground, not good for the last fuselage former, and prone to cause cracks in
the mount.

I have not had a tail wheel problem with the L-23 and no flaps.

at 1/2 flaps, there is not detent so it must be held there, does allow
better performance in weak ridge/wave or thermals, full flaps does tend to
add to the drag factor. And there is a speed limit with full flaps.

BT
"A.Wolfert" wrote in message
Does anyone have a polar curve for the Blanik L-13 with the Fowler flaps
out? I found several "normal" polars on the web, but none for the flaps

out.
Background for this question is whether there is any benefit in using the
Fowler flaps in weak thermals.

Ton Wolfert

All e-mails are scanned for viruses