Old January 12th 18, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Roney

Default Wingtip Wheels from Libelle 201?

At 23:40 11 January 2018,
wrote:
On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 5:49:16 PM UTC-5,

wrote:
Anyone have a source for the little hard plastic

wingtip wheels that
were=
recessed into the Libelle 201 wingtips? The early

gliders didn't have
them=
but I know of at least one owner who got them from

Glasflugel and added
th=
em later. For those with long memories, W1 (Woody

Woodward) installed one
j=
ust to see if it added any detectable drag (apparently

not) before
installi=
ng the second one. Hahaha.=20
=20
I've seen several variations of the small tip wheels

that are built into
=
a fairing or tip skid that's glued onto the bottom of the

tip but not the
t=
ype that are recessed into the wing as on the 201. Only

the bottom half of
=
the small hard plastic wheel protruded from the wingtip

but it kept the
tip=
s off the ground if a wing dropped while flying and

made ground handling a
=
little easier, especially when landing out and having to

move the glider
so=
lo.
=20
It wouldn't be easy to replace one without opening

up the wing (IIRC,
the=
axle was inside of the skin) but I've never heard of

anyone having to.=20
=20
Chip Bearden

Chip,

I have some wheels I got from my HPH 304CZ. Do you

know the size you
need?=
I had to special order them and have since sold the

glider.

Dan Reagan

A point that doesn`t seemed to have been raised
concerns the protection of the underside t/e of the
aileron when landing on a hard runway and unable to
keep the wings level until the glider stops.If a bit of
inadvertent stick against the wing going down occurs at
the last moment before stopping damage will occur.In
this case a skid of up to 40mm deep may be required.