Old September 19th 18, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default A few newbie questions about the sport

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 10:58:36 AM UTC-4, wrote:
A short while ago my daughter was considering joining a local Civil Air Patrol chapter, while attending the meetings with her I began to be interested in Gliding. I'm in NJ. If someone could help me with a few basic questions, I'd really appreciate it:

1. What is the average ground speed of a Glider flight?

2. Can Gliders take off and land at any airport/airfield...or are there known designated airports?

3. Regarding the thermal updrafts: Does this mean that Gliding is a seasonal sport and therefore flying in the Winter is more difficult (or impossible)?

4. Any tips on finding a school to begin lessons?

Thanks again for your time.
Ed

Where are you located in NJ?
My club flies in the lower Hudson valley of NY and has an active youth program.
Look up Valley Soaring Club.
UH