Old September 19th 18, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Default A few newbie questions about the sport

Paul,

I'll jump in here with my most recent experience with a new soaring pilot and simulation training:

Student: Never having flown glider but was rated in airplanes and was current.

Two hours "flying" Condor aerotows one evening.

The next day did four flights, The first one I gave him the controls at 1000 ft. and he flew the rest of the tow; i did the landing. The second flight he flew the whole flight from lift off to touch down. Ditto for the remaining two flights.

I have 400 hours teaching glider pilots and 5800 hours teaching airplane pilots.

I've never had a quicker building of skills in a new pilot. He's the first I use the Condor method. I will be using it from now on.

Mike Bamberg

PS. in the flight school where I accrued all those hours we would always use simulators whenever possible. The only disadvantage was the lack of "feel" which was easily gained once the student began flying in the plane.