Old July 16th 03, 01:43 PM

Part of it is most likely that my plane is *very* noisy with the
interior removed. It really requires good passives to attenuate the
rattle. I also think that the specific mix of the headset I like to use
(passive FlightLine) and the 6K is a really bad combination. The intercom
is good quality and I've got no issues with it, but it is a single squelch
design. I have tried the 6K's by themselves, but the rattle coming
through was more than I could take, regardless of the intercom's setting.

I think it's mostly a combination of the pilot/plane/headset
extreme that's an issue. Unfortunately, I just looked to adjust the gain
on them, and neither have an adjustment. I think if I could turn up the
FlightLine's, and down the 6K's, things might be better. Oh well, you get
what you pay for, I guess.

It seems like another one to look at would be the FlightLine's
"Sky Hawk" model. It looks very similar to the XC2, but also appears to
have the FlightLine HS-60B (my current passive) mic setup. Maybe that'd
keep things more compatible. Any thoughts?

-Cory

: Hmmm. Makes me wonder how much performance difference might be found mixing
: different headsets and ICSs. I have a set of DRE6000's and they work very
: well. I've had several other pilots fly with me, try the 6K's in comparison
: to what they normally use, and they all have indicated the 6K to be a solid
: performer. As they each fly either their own planes or are instructors I
: don't think they were just being nice to ensure they get to fly with me more
: :-)

: I have used two different ICS's over the last two years, both from
: Sigtronics. I wonder if that might have something to do with the difference
: between your experience and mine?

: Personally, I think people should use whatever they are most comfortable
: with, so I'm not advocating the 6K's, just curious about the extreme
: difference in your test.

: JimC

: wrote in message
: ...
: Hey all. I've been looking to upgrade my headset to an ANR and
: figured I'd ask for advice. Let me give you a few tidbits that I've found
: so far as a background:
:
: - My intercom is a DC Isocom (Mono, single squelch, simple, adequate
: quality, doesn't mix/match well brands of headsets)
: - Tried a DRE-6000, and can best describe it as complete crap. The
: passive performance isn't very good with the weakly clamped (read: not too
: uncomfortable) earpieces. The ANR helps slightly with the low-freq engine
: noise, but boosts the audio frequencies to an uncomfortable level. Also,
: the mic is much more sensitive than the rest of the headsets, and lets
: through a lot of background noise.
: - Tried Lightspeed 15/20/25 K/XL. Much better than DRE-6k, but
: still amplfies voice too much, and doesn't attenuate high-frequency
: cockpit rattle of 500Hz-2kHz or so (present in my plane). I find it
: difficult to get a volume that makes controllers clear, but not too loud
: otherwise
: - Currently using FlightLine HS-60B passive purchased about 1.5
: years ago. Fairly comfortable, good passive attenuation, great radio and
: mic sound quality and low noise, but the mic isn't very sensitive. Have
: to shout to break the squelch, especially when the DRE-6k is in the mix.
:
: Questions:
: - Are the Lightspeed XC solid with descent passive and mild active?
: Seem like a good choice, but look a bit flimsily constructed.
: - Anyone know about the FlightLine Sky Hawk? I've been pleased with
: my passives, but don't know much about these new actives.
: - Can mic volumes typically be adjusted on headsets?
:
: Thanks in advance,
: -Cory
: