Old November 23rd 04, 09:55 PM
jls

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Frank wrote:
Matt Whiting wrote:

wrote:

snip

Personally, I think it is an attempt by the religious to label
atheists and secular humanists s "religious" in order to validate
themselves, ( as they continually strive to do), even as they contend
that atheism is anathema to them.

A curious contradiction, to say the least.

I find it equally curious that atheists, philosophers and others try so
hard to avoid the term religion. Why are they so ashamed of their
beliefs?

Not ashamed of their beliefs, but perhaps reluctant to be lumped in with

the
sheep mentality of the 'religious'?

It sounds like you would define religion as a belief system to explain

that
which we do not _know_. By that definition certainly everyone must be
'religious'. It is only recently that I have heard of this definition

(and
I find its timing a bit suspect). Previously it was belief in a higher
power and/or an afterlife that defined one as 'religious' or not.

I didn't define it, I just posted a reference to the definitions. I
don't know how often the dictionary writers change the definition of
religion, but it has had multiple definitions for as long as I can
remember (35+ years).

Matt

Here's the Am. Heritage definition:
rel., relig.
a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as
creator and governor of the universe. b. A personal or institutionalized
system grounded in such belief and worship.

You can define it as you wish; many unscrupulous people do.

Atheists are non-religious. They have no deity to worship; do not
ordinarily attend church or revere the priesthood; are not particularly
organized or split up into quarreling denominations; and don't take their
beliefs on faith but rather depend on their observations, especially
scientific observations.

I have never known an atheist who considered himself anything but
irreligious. Any atheist would consider himself slurred to be referred to
as a religious person.

So htf somebody can say atheism is a religion is to me incomprehensible.