Old July 3rd 03, 02:09 PM
spektr

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

One disadvantage of the wrap is that IF you do have an exhaust crack, the
wrap will make it that much harder to see the crack during an inspection.
The ceramic coatings would be better in this respect.

KB

Something else to remember is that ceramic coated headers/exhaust tubes
are basically nonweldable after the coating is applied. You have to do
significant grinding to get to "clean" metal and access to both sides is
required. If you do not clean the backside of the weld, Ceramic junk
will contaminate the weld and render it useless.

I also think the wraps do a better job of heat shielding. Think about it
for a minute.
The major auto makers use heat wrap strategically under car hoods. They
have NO
CONCERNS whatever about weld repairs. They could apply ceramic coatings
cheaply due to economys of scale but use tape instead. I'm sure they find
that it
works better............

Scott