Old November 7th 09, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

Default How about some talk about flying?

In article
,
george wrote:

Remembering the XCSkies forecast, I fell back to the Blue Ridge. Lift
was consistent enough that I got there at around 3,200ft still, and hit
solid lift again. A few minutes later I banged into cloudbase and
checked the altimeter... 6,200ft.

Now THAT is incredible weather forecasting precision. An XCSkies
subscription is worth every penny in my view.

Sounds like there might be decent wave in that area..

I had similar thoughts. The satellite picture showed unmistakable signs
of wave farther south, terminating about 30 miles or so south of my
airport. The clouds in the area weren't classic wave formations, but I
thought they looked promising. However, no matter how hard I searched, I
never found wave. The area where I was flying was very rotor-like, with
strong turbulence everywhere, decreasing slowly with altitude, but I
only ever found very bumpy lift under the clouds, never anything away
from them, and never anything smooth.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth