Old January 8th 10, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Whatcott

Default OT ( was: Global Warming/Climate Change ...)

delboy wrote some questions, and asked for answers: I am glad to oblige:

We are having a very cold winter in the UK and Northern Europe (and so
I understand is North America). The whole of the UK is blanketed in
snow and gliding here has largely come to a halt. We also had a
relatively cold winter last year.

So the questions a

1) Are we entering another mini or maxi ice age?

No, unfortunately.

2) Is man made global warming/climate change a scam dreamed up by
unscrupulous politicians, so they can control and tax us more? They
fund the scientists who are trying to prove the case, but not the
sceptical ones.

Any major effect will find its entrepreneurs and con men.
The unscrupulous politicians of my knowledge have been very slow to pick
up on the long term warming trend. Research meteorologists have
been slow too (IMO) to pick up on the greater variability that seems to
be going along with the trend.

3) Will sea levels rise when all the snow and ice on the UK eventually
melts (tongue in cheek question)?

Yes, but that melt will be hard to measure. Much easier, will be the
upcoming shelf slip and melt in the Antarctic.
That will just take a stick planted in a tidal flow, anywhere.

4) If the cold winter is down to recent man made global warming/
climate change, we also had particularly cold winters in 1982,
1962/63, 1948, and during the mini ice age period in the 14th - 19th
century. What caused them? Prior to the mini ice age, the British
Isles were warm enough to be a noted wine growing area!

Derek Copeland

Dunno. That was then, and this is now.

Pleased to be of service.

Brian W