Old July 7th 05, 02:47 PM
Dave Butler

John Doe wrote:
"Peter R." wrote in message

John Doe wrote:

I'm new to the east coast and I'm interested in flying from NC to
Florida.
The direct route would take me a good ways out over the Atlantic. I'm
not
concerned about flying over way, just curious as to what issues I'm about
encounter with ATC.

I'd like to file either VFR or IFR depending on the weather and proceed
as
direct as I can for fuel. Is ATC going to give me any hassle?

Just out of curiosity, what is the type of aircraft you are using for this
planned trip?

Haven't decided yet, probably either a Turbo Arrow or a Twin Commanche.

I've made the trip many times single-engine from RDU (Raleigh-Durham), but I've
always stayed over land. With the Twinkie the calculation might be different.

Along the airway that goes just off the coast, I think I calculated that I
could, or nearly could, stay within gliding distance of land if the winds were
right and I picked a high-enough altitude. Never done it that way, though.

The overland distance just doesn't seem to be enough longer to make much of a
difference. YMMV

Dave