Old February 16th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default Intercom question

I have been lurking here for some time now and enjoy some of the very
interesting threads that take place.

Hi Stephen -- welcome to the group! We need more delurkers...

;-)

You may be the last pilot in the world flying without a headset! I
don't know how you can stand it -- I get a headache if I fly with non-
ANR headsets, nowadays -- but you're obviously cut from the same cloth
as Lindbergh, Knight, and Daltry. (That last guy is Roger Daltry, of
"The Who" -- who is now mostly deaf from his early concert days...)

Anyway, as with all things aviation, more is better. I'd go for a
stereo intercom, so that you can listen to tunes. The cost
differential (in aviation terms) is inconsequential, and the enjoyment
you will reap from it is amazing.

I'd also go for a built-in (rather than portable) solution. When we
first started flying we had a portable Flightcom intercom, and --
while it worked fine -- it was a giant PIA to snake those wires every
which way.

Take a look at some of the PS Engineering stuff. Their owner is a
regular here, and their stuff is bulletproof.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA