Old October 27th 03, 12:15 PM
Jack Linthicum

Robb McLeod wrote in message . ..
On 26 Oct 2003 17:38:49 -0800, (Jack
Linthicum) wrote:

Robb McLeod wrote in message . ..
There's a picture of the type of rocket used in the attack on the
al-Rashid hotel where Wolfowitz was staying:

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-s...p10-26-03a.jpg
snip

It's a dark piece of irony, but you have to assume that it was known
that Wolfowitz was in the hotel and the rocket was specifically chosen
to reopen old wounds and cause Wolfowitz some political discomfiture.

Mayhap it was a 122mm artillery rocket, they seem to be in every
bunker opened in Iraq and were much used by the bad Viets in Vietnam.
Papers seem to think the things were RPGs.
http://www.landscaper.net/images/122mmrockt.jpg

The fin design is different however, and that's a pretty hefty rocket
to be holding in one hand as the soldier is doing in the Washington
Post picture.

I must be totally blind, I can't see fins in that picture. The 122
fins fold into the end and the middle piece (the 122mm is made of two
sections plus the warhead) doesn't have fins at all. I have picked up
one of the loaded launch sections (with two hands, I am not nor ever
was a fool in these matters) easily. I would expect an 'empty' to
weight about 3-4 pounds at most.

On the other hand the paper says they were 68mm and 85mm rockets. I
get 68mm in the google (anti-personnel, perfect against a building)
but no 85 mm rockets. The 68mm's seem to be used from helicopters. The
RPG-7 warhead is listed as being 85mm in diameter, perhaps one answer.