Old September 24th 04, 08:05 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Bob Coe" wrote in message
news:YyX4d.79$gk.33@okepread01...
The Commandant of the Marines said today, that his troops "will
not be able to enter Fallujah, Iraq for years." He said that until that
time, they will have to "rely on the Air Force ability to collect airborne
intelligence," and try and "plink them into submission."

Where did this come from? A Google News search reveals no such comments from
the Commandant. The closest I could find were a couple of weeks old, and
your translation is NOT what he really said:

"There doesn't seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel," Marine Corps
spokesman Maj. Jason Johnson said Tuesday. "But it's not that kind of
conflict where you have big tactical victories that make everybody feel good
about things." Johnson referred to a recent message by Marine Corps
Commandant Gen. Michael Hagee, who told a gathering of reporters at the
National Press Club that he aimed for a long-term win ---- or Big W,' as he
put it ---- in Iraq. "We don't want a 'Little W,'" Hagee said, according to
the Defense Department's news service. "There is no one in Iraq who does not
understand that if we wanted to come in and level Fallujah, level Ramadi,
level An-Najaf, we could do that, but that's not mission accomplishment.
That's the 'Little W.' We need the 'Big W' here."

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2004...5_379_7_04.txt

What is the source?

Brooks

"They have enough weapons and men to hold us off longer than
the Knights Templar in the same situation. Unless we are given
orders to destroy the city, it will continue to be a thorn in the sides
of any democratic Iraqi regime."

It's a sad day for the Marine Corps.