Old May 3rd 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR use of handheld GPS

In a previous article, "Robert M. Gary" said:
If the handheld had failed, I could have navigated by map reading.

Since direct can only be given under radar control (IFR GPS or
otherwise) if you lost your handheld you could have just asked for
vectors. I used to note "VFR GPS on board" on my IFR flight plan. I no

Yeah, but in a lost comm situation, you'd either have to map read your way
to the destination or aim off to intercept your original airways course or
quickly plot a new airways course. I could do the all of the above in
CAVU, but in IMC I'd probably want to do the middle one.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"The first rule of Usenet Cabal is: you do not talk about Usenet Cabal."