Old November 24th 20, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

Default Android Galaxy note device for xcsoar ?

On 11/24/2020 10:50 AM, Brian wrote:
I use a Galaxy Tab A 7, it has as good of sunlight readability as I have seen in a tablet and works well. I use Tophat, but should work fine with XCSoar.

Brian

Some color tablets are better than others, but I use Tophat on an
ancient Nook e-reader, because to my eyes the purely reflective B&W
e-ink display is far better in sunshine than any color display.

The Nook does not have a built-in GPS receiver, so some sort of add-on
is needed. I've used an external GPS puck via USB (sometimes froze up),
and later grafted a small GPS module right onto a Nook, connecting to
its internal serial interface (worked well). My latest arrangement is
with a Nook into which I've grafted an RS232 interface chip for a wired
serial connection. It gets GPS - and traffic - data from a FLARM.
Works great. But all those (other than the USB puck) required delicate
DIY soldering jobs.