Old February 2nd 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default First IMC flight

On 02/02/06 14:38, A Lieberman wrote:
On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 13:51:20 -0500, Marco Leon wrote:

The weird thing about the broken clouds was that I felt like I was
going too fast and I kept glancing at my airspeed indicator more so than
what I was taught.

I find it much easier in solid IMC then partly cloudy conditions. Like you
Marco, I feel the speed, and the variation of colors outside my windows
adds to distraction, so I just do everything I can to keep my eyes inside
the plane.

Allen

My very first time flying into IMC conditions was during a PP training
flight, when my instructor agreed to let me see what it was light to
shoot an ILS approach back into our home airport.

We were over a status layer, and approaching a wall of cloud. It looked
like we were going to crash into it. The instructor told me that, to
reduce the potential for disorientation, I should switch my gaze to the
inside of the cockpit before we reach the clouds.

I basically told him to get bent - this was the first time I'd ever
seen this, and I was going to watch! ;-)

I looked great, by the way.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA