Old May 23rd 18, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

Default Flying in Europe

On Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 11:14:00 AM UTC-7, Howie Bohl wrote:
Thank you for the info. I appreciate it.

Howie,

I flew a D registered ship in Germany last summer with a US license, but it wasn't an easy process. The LBA (German FAA equivalent) is being pulled reluctantly into EASA world and last year was the year they were forced to start adapting to Euro regs (my understanding, I could be wrong about this). Anyways, there's lots of chaos and lack of clarity around the transition. Hopefully it's getting better.

I was able to fly under a special visitor provision that required sanctioning by the DAC (German Aero Club). Everybody in the glider community was very helpful, but lots of paperwork was required. Even with a good friend in Germany to coordinate things, this took 6 months. Working between the LBA and the FAA was particularly challenging.

Current plans for further European flight adventures is to get a European license at one of the large facilities like St. Aubain or Unterwossen. A 2nd class US medical is sufficient for this. That should side step many of the regulatory hassles.

Good luck and have a great time with Uli! PM me if you want additional information.

Best regards,
Craig