Old June 16th 04, 10:14 PM

Chris Brooks wrote:

I am training in the maryland area. I was cleared for an ILS approach to
runway 27 at HGR the other day.

Here is a plate:
http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0406/05114I27.PDF

I was about 17 miles out at 5000 feet when I got cleared for the approach.
My question is, when can I descend to 4000 feet?

Anyone?

At 17 miles you were not within a published segment of the approach. ATC was
required to give you an altitude to maintain and which to cross HAIGS. A
proper clearance would have been "X miles from HAIGS. Cross HAIGS at, or
above, 4,000, cleared for the ILS Runway 27 approach." The word "established"
is inappropriate in this instance. If you did not receive such a clearance
you were obligated to maintain 5,000 and question the clearance because 5,000
is not a reasonable altitude to cross HAIGS.

REF: ATC Handbook 7110.65P, Paragraph 4-8-1 b.2., Example for Aircraft 2 under
that subparagraph.

And, if you were vectored to the localizer that far out, then Paragraph 5-9-4
2. would apply, which is the radar arrival equivalent of the first cite;
specifically the Example Aircraft 4 under that subparagraph.

This section of approach clearances has often been misapplied and was the
subject of an Air Traffic Bulletin about three years ago.