Old September 15th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Reid

Default The Audit, the board, the by-laws

alice wrote:
Frank, here we go again.There has been endless speculation on R.A.S.
about what the EXCOM did and what their motivation was, criminal
intent, etc. etc..How do you know exactly what the boards motivation
was?

I have made no speculation about what the excom did nor what their
motivation was. Nor have I made any comments as to what the boards
motivation was.

I have on the other hand read all the board minutes from 2002 foreward
and there is no mention at all about an audit, much less some sort of
vote or discussion. I have also corresponded with many of the board
members and to the entire current excom.
Each and every one agrees. There was no vote, no discussion, and no
decision of any kind about an audit.

The SSA Board of Directors never, I repeat never, discussed
the issue of 'not doing an audit'. The SSA Board of
Directors never, I repeat never, decided (or voted
on the option) of 'not doing an audit'. I hope that
is clear for all.

Here again, how do you know why they chose to ignore the bylaws.

This sentence is what is known as begging the question. You apparently
cannot accept that the board did not make a decision on the audit. So
I will say it again. The board did not make a decision of any kind
about the audit and therefore, in no way did "they chose to ignore the
bylaws". If you insist on making that statement the premise of your
comments then you have already declared them guilty of some "big bad
conspiracy". Is that what you really mean to do?

If you
look at the Excom update dated 9-7-06 you cant help but notice that the
ED was well aware of the fact that payroll taxes had not been paid for
3 years.Tell us Frank, what was his motivation?

As above I have made no comment as to the motivation(s) of anyone. I
have been addressing the volunteer SSA Board members and nowhere have I
even mentioned the paid staff including the ED and the CFAO. So tell
me Alice, do you have trouble sticking to a topic or did you just throw
this in as "smoke"?

I have been communicating with my regional director who has informed me
that he is assembling a committee (The members of which have not been
involved with the SSA during the past two scandals) to investigate what
happened.With all due respect Frank, you might want to save your
speculation until this committee's investigation is complete.

With all due respect, Alice, I have made no speculation. I have told
you facts that you have decided are speculation. However, since you
want to call my comments speculation please tell us all what you know
that makes what I have said speculation instead of fact.

Additionally, what would you call someone who, before this grand
investigation has concluded, has accused the Board of Directors of the
following: "they chose to ignore the bylaws"? And before you answer
make sure you know the definition of the word "chose". It is the past
tense of "choose - to select freely and after consideration, to decide
on esp. by vote". Are you sure you want to accuse the SSA Board of
Directors of this action? Or is it just possible that you have been
speculating just a little on your own?

Indeed, your "hatch may just blow" if you continue to accuse the Board
without absolute proof of your acccusations.

Regards,

Frank Reid

So what happened? The Board simply did not think about
nor discuss an audit after 2003. Stupid? Yes! Deliberately
breaking the by-laws? No! Thus, the statement from
the excom concerning 'omission versus comission'.

More speculation here.Lets wait until the investigation is complete.

Does the above excuse the Board's lack of oversight
in not assuring that the by-laws were being followed
i.e. that an audit was taking place every year. No.
But it was an oversight by the Board. Nothing more,
nothing less.

"The hatch just blew"

Those are the facts.

Frank Reid