Old February 4th 04, 08:30 AM
Ben Haas

"Dave Gribble" wrote in message ...
Hello - our 1972 skyhawk with original engine (2300 hrs) is in major
overhaul. The crank was sent out and found to have a crack and is
supposedly unusable. The mechanic quoted $3,000 for a used replacement and
$4,000 for new. Engine is Lycoming O-320-E2D, getting upgraded to 160 HP +
powerflow exhuast.

Can anyone give me a reference point on how those prices look?

Thanks,

dave

Those cranks usually go for several more thousand hours before they
will crack. That is unless there is a prop strike in its past. Price
sounds close but the real question is??? Was that yourcrank they said
is bad or another one belonging to another customer? If you are in
doubt you can do a little detective work. Politly ask for this cracked
one back, closely look at the mating surface betweenthe prop or
spinner bulkhead, which ever one comes in contact with the crank
flange. You will see a definitive pattern unique to each assembly.
Please post as to where this crack is cracked at if you will.

Ben Haas N801BH