Old January 12th 04, 03:12 PM
Wallace Berry

In article ,
(David) wrote:

I don't buy it. Our club has three gliders and forty or so
members, all of whom are men (I think). Club membership is
pretty painless - $425 a year plus tows.

On the other hand, I don't have any great ideas as to why
there are so few women, other than soaring enthusiasts in general
are some of the most surly and socially inept misfits
I've known.

David

It really is very simple. I can sum it up in two words:

RESTROOM FACILITIES

Glider fields with clean and convenient toilet facilities have no lack
of female pilots.

The broader question is why aren't more PEOPLE involved in soaring. The
answer to getting more people involved in soaring is to establish more
private gliding sites like Caesar Creek or Newcastle, etc. where we can
have a welcoming atmosphere and clean and convenient facilities. Visit
Caesar Creek or Soaring Society of Memphis for a weekend and you will
see.

Some commercial operations do a great job in this respect. However, the
realities of making a living out of commercial soaring make it very
difficult to match the social aspects of a great club.

Just as an aside: Have you ever noticed that despite the fact most of us
male glider pilots really do resemble Pez, our wives tend to be pretty
good looking?