Old September 4th 06, 06:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Default Bizjet protocol

Eric,

Thanks for the "kind offer"!

It would be nice to have a clue which direction to look, but that comes at a
hefty price of more than $1000 extra, plus a larger unit.

For me, the main benefit of TPAS is to me to get my eyes out there and
*scanning* with more intensity than normal. And normal for me is not always
as intense and consistent a scan as I'd like (g). I'll admit that I have
been taken by surprise by a non-transponder equipped glider coming at me
head on and about 150 feet below. It actually gave me a start, he was so
close, and I couldn't figure out how I had missed him for that long.

bumper
ZZ

(Quit Vent kit & MKII Yaw string)
Minden, NV

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
bumper wrote:

Without the TPAS, this was just another example of the Big Sky theory
actually working - - though I'm disinclined to bet my life on Big Sky.
We've doubtless all had similar "near misses". But, for the sake of luck
and probability, and also the TPAS, it could have been another mid-air.

When are you going to get one of the new ones that gives you the quadrant
to look at, tell us if it's worth the extra money?

Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

"Transponders in Sailplanes" on the Soaring Safety Foundation website
www.soaringsafety.org/prevention/articles.html

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org