Old July 1st 08, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Harry K

Default Rocket Racing League First Exhibition Race August 1st and August2nd, 2008

On Jul 1, 12:37*am, Ron Wanttaja wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:03:39 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

Okay. *Still skeptical of it turning into much of a spectator sport.

I don't think they'll have trouble getting attendees for the first couple of
races. *The question is, how many people will be interested in spending money to
see it a SECOND (and third, and fourth...) time. *

It could probably survive forever as one of the acts at places like Oshkosh and
Reno, but they're apparently trying to make it a stand-alone attraction like the
Red Bull air races. *IMHO, I think the Red Bull events, with their visible
course markers (where a "cut pylon" is REALLY a cut pylon) and the low-level
aerobatics is a much more visceral experience for the average spectator.

Sure, folks will initially come to see the rockets. *Once that interest is
sated, though, the question is whether the action itself is exciting enough to
lure them to buy a $50-$100 ticket just to watch the rockets race again the next
time they come to town.

Ron Wanttaja

One of the big problems is teh pit stop plus short flying time. Even
if they get it down to 15 minutes, they have each plane on the ground
for as long, or longer, than they ar flying. I can see the announcers
hyping the pit stops..."looks like Jim Campbell is going to set a new
course record folks, he is almost ready to leave the pits in under....
13.56!!"

With two planes going head to head in the exhibition it will be 15
minutes flying and 15 minutes for the crowd to make their own pit
stops for muchies and p calls. If that is the way it goes, I will bet
the at least half the crowd will find something better to do after the
first pit.

Harry K