Old July 3rd 18, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Radio Squelch - Electrical Noise Problems

On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 10:21:36 PM UTC-7, WaltWX wrote:
I just discovered the source of RF noise source breaking squelch on my Dittel FSG71M radio. Started on 2nd flight of the season... here's what it was.

There is an LXNAV power converter that was shipped with my Nano. It's also used occasionally to power other devices at 5V. Decided to power my Nano, and this clobbered my vhf radio with RF. Turns out it was the USA A to MINI six inch cable. When I swapped out the cable with another one, the RF noise stopped! It was only pulling about 30mA. Tested same power converter with a Nokia 8 (USB A to USB-C) pulling 600 mA... and it had no RF noise.

PAYS TO CHECK USB A CABLES THAT MIGHT NOT HAVE GOOD SHIELDING OR BE OF POOR QUALITY

Walt Rogers WX

Thanks for the info. I assume you mean a USB A to mini cable. I'm running the exact same setup, I'm going to try a new cable too, and then re-adjust the squelch pot on my 71 (again)...