Old October 22nd 05, 03:55 AM
Roger

Default Update - Fat Albert

On 17 Oct 2005 12:12:06 -0700, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

The oil leak we've got also mists over the bottom of the engine and onto the
rear accessory case. It's mostly noticeable due to the small puddle that
accumulates on the rear of the fuel injection throttle body where the air is
rather dead. Never enough to be measurable on the dip stick, it's just a
messy irritation.

That describes our leak as well. We've got grills that look like
"gills" on both aft sides of our bottom cowling, and a tiny trail of
oil will occasionally come out the lower right side "gill" -- never the
left. After sitting overnight, a drip will fall out of that area onto
the hangar floor, below that right gill.

Looking at the bottom of the engine, it's covered with a sheen of oil
-- but finding the source has been infuriating. There is no obvious
drip or puddle, and everything appears to be tight. Hell, it could be
running down from the TOP of the engine, hitting the 150 mph
slipstream, and atomizing all over the bottom -- only to gather back
into a droplet at the very bottom/lowest point.

It's never enough to register on the dipstick, but it sure makes a
mess. I'd love to find the source.

What makes it doubly aggravating is that we installed an air/oil
separator to eliminate oil on the bottom of the plane. (Which it did
quite well, until this leak developed...)

I found that spilling a teaspoon full when filling is good enough to
cover the entire bottom of the Deb.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com