Old October 13th 04, 04:25 PM
zatatime

On 13 Oct 2004 06:45:58 -0700, (Captain
Wubba) wrote:

Hello. I'm considering purchasing a plane that has Ceconite wings.
They were recovered last year professionally, and according to an A&P
I asked to have a quick look, were done well and correctly, and have a
UV protectant. My question is the following: I don't have access to a
hanger. This plane would be exposed to the elements in the Midwest.
How long could I expect to fly this plane before the Ceconite would
need replacement? Is there an average 'lifespan' for this type of wing
covering if exposed to the elements?

Thanks,

Cap

The fabric that is used to cover airplanes is all the same. What is
different is how it is "painted." If this was done with Nitrate and
Butyrate dopes with an aluminum coat as the UV protection you should
expect to get about 7 years out of it. If it was completed with the
Stits process, I've seen airplanes outside for 15+ years and they
still are in very good shape.

You may get more than 7 out of the dope as well, but it depends on
alot like how much shade, temps, etc...I'd like to say 10+, but I'm
staying conservative.

HTH.