Old November 26th 03, 03:18 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Koopas Ly wrote:

Howdy again,

After reading NTSB reports that attribute the cause of the accident to
exceeding the airplane's maximum takeoff weight, I began wondering
about the effects of an overweight takeoff within C.G. limits.

Seems to me that you have listed most of the effects correctly. One thing you
should consider, however, is the fact that the balance envelope for most (if
not all) planes gets narrower at the top. In other words, the more weight you
put in an aircraft, the closer to the center of lift that weight has to be. At
some point, all of the weight will have to be in the front seat.

I have read of cross-Atlantic ferry flights in which the aircraft was loaded to
weigh about 1.6 times the normal MGW. In one account, a Bonanza loaded that way
took over 6,000' to get airborne.

George Patterson
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can
be learned no other way.