Old June 25th 20, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Bad Spot URL in Glideport

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 3:03:27 PM UTC-7, Z15 wrote:
Trying to get a club member's SPOT registered with glideport. I keep getting the message "Bad URL" when I paste his publicly available shared URL into the list of available trackers. Also tried pasting it to his account on the SSA as a belt and suspenders approach, but we're still not seeing a trace.

I've been told that Spot changed some format and there is rumor of a workaround? Anyone have info on this?

Yes, I just figured it out the hard way! The "shared page" no longer works for the glider tracker, instead you have to create an XML link. Then embed it in the following URL:

share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=09zinCBIVfVFEcsbxqddrCIFbMlqMPx xx
where the example starting with 09z is replaced by your own XML link. This has to be a separate link with a different title than your shared page. Here is how to get your XML number:-
1) log in to findmespot.com
2)Maps
3)History mode
4)Manage (little lines with check marks icon)
5)Shared Views
6) Add shared view
7) Make a shared view with a different tile such as MYXMLFeed
9) XML Feed
10) View Details on MYXMLFeed
11) The XML Feed ID should be displayed. Copy and paste it, append it to the text
share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=
and you are good to go.
Worked for me!!
Duncan