Old November 20th 03, 12:40 PM
Janusz Kesik

I am going to join Your opinion that PW-5 is a good design. It flies =
well, and is considerably affordable when we talk about the price of a =
*NEW* ship, what is most often forgotten by those who criticize the =
"Smyk". There are still some people who don't want to buy pre-owned ship =
with not always clear history.
The second thing what the sceptics foget is that the World Class was =
brought to life to allow joining contests to as wide as possible range =
of pilots. Not only the masters and those who fly 100 hrs a year, but =
also for those who fly just few times a year, but stil would like to =
join the race just for fun. That means that the glider should be very =
easy to fly, and the PW-5 really is...

Of course the performance could be better, but for what price (even =
literally thinking of money)? For harder handling in the air? For =
heavier wings (15m of span would add some kgs to their weight)? Or for =
more problems when building one's own glider from the plans, which was =
also a requirement for the World Class design.

In my opinion the PW-5 is a superb glider (yes, I have flown one a lot) =
for the requirements it had to meet. The only thing I would be different =
is that I would prefer the PW-5 as a taildragger just like the Junior.

Regards,

--=20
Janusz Kesik

visit
www.leszno.pl - home of the www.css-leszno.it.pl

U=BFytkownik goneill w wiadomo=B6ci do grup =
dyskusyjnych ...
I am not a pilot who flys a PW5 but my club has several plus several =

grob
102s
for general flying and competition work.
The one thing is becoming clear the PW5 is a fibreglass equivalent of =

the K8
,
a low penetration,moderate performance easy to fly and land anywhere
machine.
To get good performance out of them really requires quite a lot of =

skill .
With their light weight and inertia, when an accident happens the =

damage to
the glider is usually minimal and the pilot just dusts off their =

clothes.
The structure damage in an accident is relatively minor and their =

simple to
fix.
What I have seen in competitions is usually very close tight hard =

racing
In essence the one design concept works but everybody voices loudly =

their
opinions on whether the PW5 is "THE" design
gary