Old June 21st 12, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

Default 1 glider - 11 waterballast trails

On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:46:11 PM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:49:16 AM UTC-7, John Galloway wrote:
http://www.schempp-hirth.com/index.php?
eID=tx_cms_showpic&file=uploads%2Fpics%2FQuin_11st ralig.jpg&
width=1024m&height=800m&bodyTag=%3Cbody%20bgColor% 3D
%22%23dddddd%22%3E&wrap=%3Ca%20href%3D%22javascrip t
%3Aclose%28%29%3B%22%3E%20%7C%20%3C%2Fa%3E&md5
=21b00ee34c627bb243eebb2518add426

I'll ignore the obnoxious comments below.

Hydraulic pressure is a really big problem.
When a glider spins, ground-loops, etc - lots of pressure !
Prototype ASW-22 was lost in a spin test with water - wing exploded.
Another had wing exploded during ground-loop.
Some systems to alleviate pressure rely on partial air in tank - marginal.
New gliders need extreme amounts of water to get to required high wing loading.
So.... Lots of tanks !

All of which means mechanical linkages (multiple wing panels)
get really unwieldy and impractical.

I designed the new dump system requiring:
- quickly field-removable valves for cleaning debris or replacement,
- very high reliability compared to silly servo-based systems,
- absolute minimal mechanical complexity in wings,
- flush with outer wing surface for minimal drag (without silly dangling mylar)

Valves have operated in a test rig 150,000 cycles without problem.
Try that with your silly servos.

If you pump in pond water a valve can jam with debris, small fish, or large fish.
Enough deposits and you need chapstick.
Or, pull it out and clean or replace it.

Significantly better than the alternatives we believe...

Hope that's clear !
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"

Dave,

Cool stuff. Anywhere we can see pictures of your mechanical wizardry?

Craig