Old March 3rd 16, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default Is SKEW-T still important to soaring pilots ?

WindyTy is very "pretty", and it gives a great synoptic view of winds and the associated system. In fact, the UI is probably as good/better than anything out there for wind depiction over time. But, it's limited by the fact that the underlying model is only the GFS. Hopefully Walt Rogers will chime in here, but if someone ever wanted to do a project to create the ultimate forecasting tool for gliding, I think it would include meso-scale visualizations (like WindyTy, Dr.Jack) with point-forecast SkewT and related parcel analysis across models (like Bufkit or Bill Moninger's parcel analysis tools) as a point-and-click drill down. The way I think about forecasting for gliding is:

- Big picture/synoptic. Do I even need to dig deeper (along the lines of Doc's Weather forecasting rock if you recall: Rock is wet - it's raining, Can't see rock - it's snowing, Rock is gone -it's windy). Once I know whether it's worthwhile then...

- Meso-scale visualizations. I use Dr. Jack (NAM), HRRR, etc. to get a more detailed picture (lift strength and heights, clouds/cloudbase,wind direction and strength which quadrants look better, etc.)

- Point analysis: If I'm serious about the day, I look at Bufkit or just use the Moninger (Rucsoundings) sight to see what the underlying SkewT looks like, often comparing models. That last bit is important, as we are seeing more and more days here in the east where the models (GFS, NAM, RAP, HRRR) are diverging in one or more critical parameter. So, being able to compare and check for consistency also help instill confidence in the forecast.

Long answer to a short question.

p3