Old March 21st 05, 12:56 AM
D. Scott Seders

Phormer Phighter Phlyer wrote in message

Well as the on scene commander, and as the CO of VF-126 at the time..

Flying a routine over water flight in the A-4E. Had the engine start to
make noise, come apart. Wingy joined up and saw that the engine was
disintergrating. Bug said it was time to get out. Pulled the handle level,
at about 15,000 feet, lowish A/S. Rocket motor didn't burn completely, he
hit the tail, probably killed instantly.

Chute deployed, helicopters from the 'Enterprise(?), don't remember, CV
was west, going east, CO was Willie Williamson, picked him up. Charging
toward the scene. He was dead in the water.

Tests conducted on A-4E seat motors at a weapoms depot were conducted. 7
out of 10 didn't burn completely, I grounded all the 'E' models, much to
the chargrine of FitFud(Curt Schantz).

Peter Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret)

Thanks Pete, I appreciate your response.

Scott Seders