Old October 8th 03, 10:17 PM
Thomas Schoene

"John C. Baker" wrote in message

In article ,
(KDR) wrote:

Just wondering, how were B-52G bombers supposed to find targets in
anti-ship strikes? Were they to use their own sensors or depend on
offboard targeting?

I'm assuming the B-52 would get some AWACS or Hawkeye input for
off-board targeting. Unless there's some classified stuff we dunno
about, I don't believe the B-52 has a targeting radar -- like you
said. I think there is some infrared search capability, but I have no
idea if that targeting info can be given to the missles.

The B-52 hs the APQ-156 radar, the same radar once carried in the A-6E TRAM,
which was regared as a top-notch radar bomber. That radar should be more
that sufficient for surface search against naval targets.

However, I expect they would get a steer from naval surveillence aircraft
(P-3s, for example) to get within range of the target.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)