Old March 5th 18, 10:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Rowland[_2_]

Default Stress/Anxiety Driven Accidents

Are people really suggesting fitting a heart rate monitor and using it in
flight?

Someone is having a difficult time, their heart rate is going up and then a
heart rate warning comes up. This has now added something else for them to
cope with, thus increasing the prospect of getting overloaded.

Chris

At 21:36 04 March 2018, wrote:
Very interesting discussion with a lot to think about.=20

I'd just like to make one caution which is do not try to use absolute
value=
s of HR to measure anything. A more reliable measure is % of max HR.

There
=
is much more variability in maximum HR between healthy individuals than
the=
commonly quoted (and discounted in peer reviewed articles) formulas
sugges=
t. I'm a healthy fit 57 yr old male who exercises regularly with a max HR
o=
f over 200, with a similar aged friend who has a max HR under 170.
Interest=
ingly both of us have resting heart rates around 60.=20

I'd be very interested to see a reference to the source of the HR ranges
pu=
blished above, not that a problem with the value of the given ranges
matter=
s to the underlying thesis which is well worth exploring.

On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 6:04:58 AM UTC+10, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 6:30:09 AM UTC-5, soarin wrote:
=20
With a heart rate elevated to 115-145 BPM,
complex motor skills, visual reaction times and cognitive reaction

time=
are at their peak. However, between 145-175 mental and physical
performance begins to suffer dramatically.=20

=20
I've no problem with the general idea, but since the author suggests

the
=
use of a heart rate monitor to measure stress level in the cockpit, I
quest=
ion the applicability of these specific numbers to pilots of different
ages=
and fitness levels.
=20
Talking averages... A 70 year old pilot would have a maximum heart rate

o=
f 220 - 70 =3D 150 bpm. I'd guess that he would experience debilitating
st=
ress well below 145 bpm. A 20 year old pilot would have a maximum heart
rat=
e of 220 - 20 =3D 200 bpm. =20
=20
I'm not trying to say anything authoritative. I'm just questioning the

n=
umbers presented.
=20
Source for calculation of maximum heart rate:
=20

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...h/exercise-in=
tensity/art-20046887?pg=3D2
=20
"to calculate your maximum heart rate is to subtract your age from 220.

F=
or example, if you're 45 years old, subtract 45 from 220 to get a maximum
h=
eart rate of 175."