Old November 7th 03, 01:13 AM
BTIZ

always lean... during climbs..

we use a Pawnee with 235HP fixed pitch prop for towing gliders, we start at
2800MSL, and it is noticeable to lean above 4000MSL, (1200AGL), during the
climb I watch the RPM and lean for peak rpm in the full throttle climb and
then "bump" it rich, as we are always climbing.

Some will argue it is not needed to lean below 3000MSL.. for your area.. but
lean to peak RPM if the temp gauge is out.

BT
"aaronw" wrote in message
Hi all:

I fly underneath a Class B airspace (Washington). My question is that
while I am leaving the area on a flight, I will often end up climbing
up higher as I get further from my departure airport as I get under
the shelves that are higher up. When I am entirely free of the Class
B, I pick a VFR cruising altitude that is appropriate, and at that
point I lean the engine out on the 172. My question is, knowing that
I will have frequent full power applications to climb out to higher
altitudes, 1000 - 2000 - 2500 - 3000, etc., should I lean at each
altitude, or is it better to just let it go until I have stabilized at
my cruising altitude and then lean accordingly?

aw