Old May 8th 05, 06:13 AM
tony roberts

I manage a small airport for the city in northern Wisconsin. My
neighbors are close to the runup pads, and are neither particularily
pro or con aviation, but I do have to listen to their occasional
complaints about noise & do what I can to minimize it. I find a
multiple runnup and rundown sounds annoying myself. There may be
reasons but they have their negative consequences too.

Well you do appear to be moderating your initial position, but if pilots
running up their engines actually do create insurmountable problems with
your neighbours, then perhaps it is time to move or close your airfield.
Because the alternative is increasing the risk that one of those pilots
may just go through your neighbours roof! And to me, that is much more
unacceptable than the sound of a 30 second runup.

I also wish to add that, while there are many places in usernet where I
could see this discussion occurring, rec.aviation.piloting is certainly
not one of them. In flying, you don't learn from your mistakes - you
learn from other peoples mistakes - because it is often the first
mistake that can kill you. And if the experts say do a runup, and the
neighbours say don't, then you had better be making the right choice.
But that is just my opinion - and I learned long ago that in usernet,
even if all I say is that the sun will rise tomorrow morning, I will get
a couple of posts telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about
because it definitely won't!

So I will just continue putting the safety of my aircraft, my passengers
and myself first, while truly regretting that I may have just
inconvenienced a neighbour by having them hear my runup.

I guess on this one we'll just agree to disagree.
But I thank you for your post and your opinion.

Tony

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
VFR OTT