Old May 8th 05, 07:30 AM
Peter Duniho

"nrp" wrote in message
oups.com...
So if a warm prop governor doesn't work, what can happen? It will
either control or it won't.

Or the failure could be causing oil to be pumped overboard.

Do you get out and look afterwards to see?

You cannot test every potential failure mode. However, a runup complete
with prop check is a simple and quick thing that can detect many common
types of failures.

More relevant to my original point was that your post seems to imply the
pilot wouldn't care about a problem with the prop governor, which is
patently false. Not all prop governor failures are benign, so if one has a
chance to detect such a failure prior to takeoff, one should take that
chance.

I manage a small airport for the city in northern Wisconsin. My
neighbors are close to the runup pads, and are neither particularily
pro or con aviation, but I do have to listen to their occasional
complaints about noise & do what I can to minimize it. I find a
multiple runnup and rundown sounds annoying myself. There may be
reasons but they have their negative consequences too.

Well, your situation is uncommon. In any case, IMHO safety takes priority
over noise issues. Someone that close to an airport should understand that
there are consequences to being that close to an airport. If a runup
accomplished nothing, I would agree it's a pointless noise maker that ought
to be eliminated; but that's not the case.

Pete