Old July 28th 07, 07:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Fly-For-Fun

Default Biggest bonehead moves flying into OSH?

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
Most of the pilots I know would acknowledge that flying over Lake Michigan
in a single is a calculated risk, and would do it high, with lots of gas,
and perhaps with survival gear. Some won't do it at all in a single, since
the survival rate after ditching is very low. Most wouldn't do it at night
or in IMC.

If I'm going to be ditching 40 miles from shore, I choose to do it in the
Gulf of Mexico instead of Lake Michigan. Maybe I'll get lucky and be able
to ditch near a shrimp boat or oil rig. At the very least, it'll be warmer.