Old November 21st 05, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Garmin 430 Jeppesen Skybound updates

"BillJ" wrote in message
John Doe wrote:
Is it possible to purchase a one-time update to the 430 database using
the Skybound adapter?

I don't fly enough IFR to require a current database year round and I'd
like to just update it during certain times during the year.

When I check their webpage all I can find is a one time mail in option
using the classic option, but the only skybound option is an annual
subscription which I don't really need. Why don't they have a one time
deal like garmin does on their webpage?

Thanks.

Why not just send your card to someone who does it every month and they
can send you theirs that just expired.

That doesn't really solve my problem.

I don't normally fly IMC so I don't really need to pay for continue updates
to be IFR legal with my Garmin 430. I can use an outdated database and just
use it as a backup to VFR navigation.

On the rare occasion that I do need to fly IFR with legal /G I would like to
be able to download the database update on the web, update my 430 and be
able to fly IFR when needed.

I did this to some extent with my handheld 196 off the garmin webpage. If I
was just doing local flying, I didn't really need to keep the database up to
date. If I was going to fly cross country, it was easy for me to update the
database the night prior to the flight.