Old August 31st 04, 07:06 AM
Dave Kearton

"Krztalizer" wrote in message

| We got gyped out of Australia twice, HK once, and Mombasa ... oh, who
cares
| about THAT sewer. Did you ever make it into Oz? We pulled into
Freemantle
| while the Midway scored Perth, but I am willing to bet we had more fun!
|
| v/r
| Gordon

Fremantle would have been an attractive city back then, I was first there
in '86. When Australia won the Americas' Cup in '83, Fremantle was
picked as the site for the defence in '87 and money came out of the woodwork
to 'pretty' it up for the yacht races.

Interestingly, there were stories in all of our media, the last time one
of the CBGs wisited Perth, of all the brothels going onto a war footing
during the visit. Before the last of the sailors left, several
venues had to shut down for the health and safety of some of the girls.
Apparently 5,000+ enthusiastic sailors and marines tends to 'drain' the
resources of even the largest of establishments.

Would be an interesting exercise on the Sydney-Melbourne-Adelaide to Perth
flights, to spot the pinch hitters.

Cheers

Dave Kearton