Old November 27th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Judah

Default Did I violate an FAR?

Anonymous coward #673 wrote in news:nowhere-
:

The other day I was under the hood with a safety pilot, but I was not
IFR current. I requested a "practice approach in VFR conditions" and
was cleared for an actual approach. I advised ATC that I just wanted a
practice approach and they said, "We have to put you in the system for
[some cockamamie reason that I can no longer recall -- spacing or
something like that]." So I ended up flying the approach in VFR
conditions but under an actual IFR clearance even though I was not
instrument current. Did I violate an FAR? If so, what should I have
done instead?

I believe even on a VFR practice approach controllers "put you in the
system" with a VFR notation of some sort. You properly requested a practice
approach in VFR conditions. However, he should have indicated "maintain
VFR" in his clearance to indicate that you were not accepting an actual IFR
Clearance. If he did not, it is possible that you did accept an actual IFR
Clearance. Of course, it's also possible that he just didn't call the
clearance properly. ATC isn't always perfect...

If you were PIC on an IFR Clearance, and you were not current, you violated
FAR 61.57 - Recent Flight Experience.
"(c) Instrument experience. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this
section, no person may act as pilot in command under IFR or in weather
conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR, unless within the
preceding 6 calendar months, that person has:

(1) For the purpose of obtaining instrument experience in an aircraft
(other than a glider), performed and logged under actual or simulated
instrument conditions, either in flight in the appropriate category of
aircraft for the instrument privileges sought or in a flight simulator or
flight training device that is representative of the aircraft category for
the instrument privileges sought—

(i) At least six instrument approaches;

(ii) Holding procedures; and

(iii) Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigation
systems"